Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Lion NYC/February Burger Club


Burger Club is a monthly occurrence with a group of friends where we go to dinner and guess what, order burgers. We’ve been to some great ones, like Spotted Pig, Paul's, and one of the group’s favorite, 21 Club. Friday night, the Georgia Peach, Thyroid Storm, Shady, Gramercy Guy and I went to The Lion.
I had been to this spot a number of times when it was Village, but thanks to our waiter extraordinaire, Kenyon, he told us the original Lion was open in the 60’s and it’s where Barbra Streisand got her start and Joel Schumacher used to bus tables. Be prepared for a strict reservation policy and a beautiful crowd. The art on the wall changes from time to time and is for sale. I had my eye on a piece or two, stay tuned to see if we get any. 

The food was really fantastic. Kenyon told us the menu is designed so each bite would be a foodie experience. I’m not going to lie; I did roll my eyes and think, ‘what a pretentious thing to say.’ Well I don’t know if I drank the kool aid so to speak but the food was really special. Flavors were subtle and all played well together.  If I wasn’t with my friends, I might have picked up my plate and licked it, that's how good it was. 
 
We started dinner with some aps for the table:

Yellowfin Tuna Tartare

Black Truffle Gnocchi

Grilled Pizza Bianca

And of course, the pièce de résistance,The Lion Burger served with cheese, pork belly and a side of pickles. (I gave my pork belly away though)
In the words of Thyroid Storm, “there is belly in my belly”

Sides for the table included: 

Brussels Sprouts with Apple and Guanciale 

Herb Fries

Carrots

For dessert, one bite of the Cheesecake in a jar.

 
Can’t wait to go back and try other menu items. Have you been to The Lion and what was your favorite thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment