Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Quick and Easy Homemade Tomato Soup


Sometimes you just want a warm bowl of soup on a chilly winter’s day. I was lucky to have off President’s Day while Gramercy Guy was working from home. I thought I would make us a yummy soup and sandwich lunch. I made turkey reubens and this really great tomato soup.

Ingredients:
2 28oz cans of tomatoes. (I went with 1 plain and 1 fire roasted to give the soup some added flavor)
1 medium onion (rough chop)
2 cloves garlic (rough chop)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup water (you can use cream or half and half for a creamier soup)
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
Salt
Pepper
  1. In a soup pot, heat the oil and cook the onion and the garlic until the  onion is translucent 
  2. Add the cans of tomatoes and heat thoroughly. 
  3. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. (I like to leave mine with some texture. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can put through a blender or food processor) 
  4. Add salt/pepper to taste 
  5. Add basil 
  6. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes
I garnished mine with some shredded cheddar and chunks of left over garlic bread. I also like Goldfish crackers or Cheez-It. For heartier option, you can add fresh spinach in the last 2-3 minutes or some small pasta like orzo or shells, either pre-cooked at the end or add per the package cooking times.



This makes 6-8 servings. I like to freeze some and take some to work the next day, soup is usually better the next day anyway. 

Let me know if try it and how you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment